Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Goodbye 2012....... Hello 2013

NYE is now a memory of the past and a fresh 2013 has begun. I always commence a new year with customary resolutions and I am lucky if I manage to keep them going for the entire 1st day of January.


BUT…. This year I am determined to keep one resolution in particular, and that is to cook and blog more. I’m going to aim for at least one blog a week, 52 in a year. I’m banking on the benevolence of my readers and their forgiveness if some weeks I blog more than once and other weeks I don’t blog at all (see, I’m already lining up to ditch this resolution too).

Cookie Exchange 2012


I was delightfully lucky to celebrate my birthday at the end of December, nice and close to Christmas. Despite having the most wonderful friends, it’s always a hassle trying to arrange a party or even a small catch-up to mark the occasion at that time of the year – I can never seem to get everyone together.

So, knowing this would be the case again in 2012, I decided to try and spice things up a bit and host a Cookie Exchange, in the hope that it would be a lot of fun, rewarding for the attendees and also appealing when managing a diary of events and commitments. I got the idea from a book I found online (unable to credit because I can’t find it again); though there are plenty of sites out there so I won’t link any.

When hosting a Cookie Exchange, it’s a good idea to stick to a few simple rules. I didn’t abide by all the rules, but the ones I adopted are as follows:

1. Cookies must be homemade. Actually, they don't even have to be cookies; they can be slices, whoopie pies, macarons etc. Essentially a sweet treat that will keep in the cupboard for a few days.

2. You need to set a minimum number of cookies for each guest to bring to contribute to the exchange. I decided on 3 per guest. So, 10 guests, at 3 cookies each, means every guest had to bring 30 in total (including 3 for themselves). I am sure you can guess what this means, once you bring 30 cookies, you also leave with 30 cookies BUT you leave with 10 different types of cookies – YAY!!

3. It’s a good idea to set an RSVP date and ask that your guests tell you what type of cookie they will be brining. It's important that there is some coordination to the exchange; otherwise you could end up with 300 chocolate chip cookies which wouldn't be very interesting. Once you have final numbers, you can confirm with your guests how many cookies they need to bring.

4. Finally, your guests need to bring a copy of the recipe to also exchange with the other guests. This is so the fabulous cookie recipes can have a life beyond a dusty recipe book!!!

And finally, it’s not a rule, but it is a good idea to ask your guests to bring something to take their cookie collection home in. It’s helpful if guests bundle their cookies in individual parcels for everyone – but this might be an added hassle so being prepared with a large container is smart.

From here on, I will blog each of the recipes with an accompanying photo. There were 11 different types of sweet treats at my Cookie Exchange so this will keep me busy.

For now I will leave you with a photo of almost the entire spread (a few hadn't been plated at the time of snapping - sorry about the image quality, oops too much going on and too much celebratory champagne to perfect the shot), I was so impressed and touched by how enthusiastic all of my friends were for this new initiative…… I think I might have started my own tradition.

Now.... Go Get Your Bake On!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jo, I read a similar book call The Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman. Along with the cookies, you had to tell the story behind them or why you made those particular ones. Quite a good book actually, If you want a read, I have it in my collection.

    ReplyDelete