Monday, May 7, 2012

Australia's Angel - Pavlova!

In response to a request from one of my lovely and talented readers (Ellie - you know who you are), I am posting my recipe for a never fail Pavlova. This recipe has been passed down to me from my mum, and both my sister and I now make it almost as well as she does.


Sometimes I opt for a traditional version....


........and sometimes I get a bit creative, this one was for Australia Day.













Actually, I make this quite a bit as it's one of my husbands favourite desserts, but because I hadn't planned to blog it so soon, I don't have many pics to load - just the two above. Next time I make it I will take progress shots to accompany the instructions.

If you want to impress your friends at the next dinner you host, but don't want a lot of last minute mucking around - then this is ABSOLUTELY the recipe for you. This is a hard shell Pavlova with a soft marshmallow centre. If you can swing it right, you can even get a nice chewy layer to the centre - just the way hubby likes it.


PAVLOVA

Ingredients

4 egg whites
1 cup castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp white vinegar


Method

1. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar, best until dissolved; gradually add remaining sugar, beating well after each addition.

2. When sugar has dissolved, add vanilla and vinegar, beat for 1 minute to just combine the mixture. Mixture should be very thick and glossy.

HOT TIP: to test if all the sugar has dissolved, rub a little bit of the mixture between your thumb and forefinger, if it feels grainy - keep beating. The grainy feeling is sugar that has not dissolved.

3. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Mark a circle on the paper, approx 18cm in diameter. Spoon the meringue onto the tray in the middle of the circle and spread it out to the edges of the circle. Make sure you build up the sides where required, you should have a circle of meringue about 18cm in diameter and 8cm high.

4. Smooth the sides and top of the Pavlova. If you want a decorative finish, like my traditional one above, take a butter knife blade and make grooves around the side of the Pavlova, scraping the meringue that gathers on the knife back on to the top of the circle. Smooth the top again.

5. Bake in a very slow oven (100 degrees) for approx 1.5 hours. The Pavlova should be firm to touch. Turn off the oven and leave the Pavlova inside to cool, with the oven door ajar.

6. When the Pavlova has completely cooled, take a sharp knife and run it around the inside edge of the top of the Pavlova. The crisp top should fall slightly onto the soft centre. This creates room for your topping.

Pavlova is best topped with fresh whipped cream and a selection of fruits. You can also substitute the fruit with broken up chocolate covered honeycomb - mmmmm delish!!!


Now..... Go Get Your Bake On!!


Recipe first published in the Australian Women's Weekly The Great Dessert Cookbook, 1974.

No comments:

Post a Comment